Book Review: Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub

10:00 AM


Still Star-Crossed 
by Melinda Taub 
E-book edition, 352 pages 
Published: July 9th, 2013 
Publisher: Delacorte Press 
✰✰✰.5

Soon to be an ABC TV show by producer Shonda Rhimes! Still Star-Crossed follows the aftermath of the tragic deaths of Romeo and Juliet, as mysterious figures in Verona are determined to reignite the feud between the Montagues and the Capulets.

In fair Verona, enemies still walk the streets.
Two news hearts. Same two families.
The fight to the altar is about to happen.
All. Over. Again. 

This homage to the classic Shakespearean tale of Romeo and Juliet will have readers pining for a star-crossed love of their very own.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17237155-still-star-crossed

This book has been on my tbr list for so long. I never read Romeo & Juliet, nor I ever have watch the movie. But I know how the story goes, I mean who doesn't? So I'm so excited to read a somehow another version about the most famous love story ever.

First, don't be fooled. This is not Romeo and Juliet. They both fell for each other on first sight. Rosaline and Benvolio despises each other. They aren't in love, and there's nothing star-crossed about this romance.

Prince Escalus has a great idea of uniting House of Montague and Capulet to stop the feud, by marrying Rosaline and Benvolio together. They hated each other, and they aren't star-crossed. The prince and the families actually give them their blessings. But there's a series of murders that killing both Montague and Capulet, and making them at each other neck. Rosaline and Benvolio work together to solve the murder, and they eventually fall in love. And when things cool down, after everything is done, they live happily ever after.

That's basically the summary of the book, in a paragraph. So where's the starcrossed part? The angst? The desperation? This is no Romeo and Juliet. They aren't starcrossed. It was enjoyable, but it was too predictable. I could predict how it would happened from the first few chapters. All the characters are so reserved and stiff, and I think it's understandable since they just experienced a blood bath (Romeo & Juliet's event). But.. I couldn't feel any connection with them. I kind of understand them, but they sort of out of my grasp. I could break the characters like this:
  • Rosaline hates the feud and want nothing to do with it. She hates both Capulets and Montague, and that's why she refused Romeo. She wants the best for her sister, Livia, and then off to the quiet life of nunnery. 
  • Benvolio is grieving with Romeo and Mercutio's death, but I don't think he has any hatred toward the Capulets. He's just tired with the feud. 
  • Prince Escalus is cunning and cares a lot about Verona. He puts Verona first, then his personal life. 
  • Livia is a bit childish and impulsive. 
  • Paris... well I think he's in so much grief he has mad idea and fall to quickly for Livia.
The setting is in Verona, and I love how vivid the description is. It's like you travel back through time and walking the streets of Verona. It uses Shakespeare's writing style, thy thou and stuff, and I found some difficulties with them, but after a while they're okay. And, it isn't written in verse like the actual play, so don't worry it isn't that hard to read!

Overall, it was a great book. I feel kind of cheated because it was nothing like Romeo and Juliet, there is nothing star-crossed about Rosaline and Benvolio. But the plot and the characters are enjoyable, even though the characters are one-dimensional. 




You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Interesting! I've read Romeo and Juliet (for school) and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I hoped (I blame school, again). But this seems like an interesting plot, although it was disappointing. Too predictable, you say? That's sad. But I might check this one out! Great review!

    Cloe @ Mornings and Epilogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read the original one, but it's like the most famous romance so I might want to read it... I don't know, shakespeare and I, we had a bad relationship XD

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Thanks for sharing your blog.
    Good vibes, Fox
    check out my latest Vlog
    -www.rochellefox.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. How had I not heard about this one before now? It sounds so intriguing. The story of Romeo and Juliet is so obviously insta-love-y that I don't know how the couple got to be such a famous standard for romance, so the fact that the characters despise each other in this version draws me in. I'll have to give this one a shot - thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know this existed until right now! But I have to say it seems kind of misleading. If neither of them are from the two families ... how is it star-crossed? And the plot seems a little modern. I don't think anyone really cared about murders back then, unless it was a murder of a high born noble or whatever.

    I might still pick it up, because it would be interesting to read someone's take on what happened after Romeo and Juliet. But I won't go in with TOO high of hopes, haha.

    Lovely review, Tasya! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from the Montagues and Capulets, and the murder is from their family, but it's all so predictable :/ Thank you!

      Delete

Hi guys! Thank you so much for visiting, feel free to leave a comment and talk to me, I don't bite :D

Popular Posts

Goodreads

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Tasya has read 2 books toward her goal of 70 books.
hide